Thursday, March 19, 2009

My first serious blog - I start with something closest to my heart, my profession and source of my daily bread, the digital world...

While digital footprints of brand marketing is expanding rapidly all over the world, I still find myself explaining to my best clients, the merits of the medium everytime I present a thought or a brand strategy. I find myself building atleast 10-15 slides on my presentation deck purely showcasing the various case studies relevant to the point in discussion. That's kinda frustrating and annoying !!



Case in point - A client from a local market in my region who is a large global corporation in IT and electronic goods manufacturing came to me with a problem that is very common . Sure ! the client corporation name is open to speculation here. He said "I launched a website 6 months ago but people do not come to my site unless I spend thousands of dollars in promoting the website". Worst still, analysis told us that the time spent on the site was poor and the bounce rate was shooting upwards. We went down to explore the website. We found to our dismay that the content on the website has been the same as it was the day the site went live, 6 months ago. Clearly, the client failed to craft a content strategy. Besides, although there was a data capture feature but sadly, it only collected data, never to be utilised.


Sometime ago, the director of marketing of another entertainment television channel once told me that one of his competition was succesfully using Facebook to promote its new reality show that saw its rating points challenge the rating points of an ongoing popular sports series shown live on television. The director knew that he needed to explore the SNS for his next launch but did not know how.


If you happen to face some of these desparate, yet embarressed souls, do not blow your top. Alas !! that's what we are there for, to guide and direct them. After all, that's where we earn our daily bread right !!


In the next series of my blog posts, I will try to post real life stories and experiences, that should help provide possible solutions to challenges that readers may face in their markets. I would also post my understanding and take on latest discoveries, fads, craze and clicking mania. I hope to create a differentiated blog amidst the copious number of digital blogs in the WWW through real experiences and examples that I continue to encounter in my profession.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment